Soil, Water, and Fertilizer
A loam or sandy loam soil is the best garden soil. Clay soils may produce just as well if managed properly. Soil tests can reveal nutrient deficiencies you didn't know about.
Web Soil Survey can be used for general farm, local, and wider area planning:
- Click on the green "Start WSS: button" to begin.
- Then use the "Area of Interest" tab to define your area of interest.
- Click the "Soil Map" tab to view or print a soil map, and detailed descriptions of the soils in your area of interest.
- Click the "Soil Data Explorer" tab to access soil data for your area and determine the suitability of the soils for a particular use.
- Use the "Shopping Cart" tab to get your free custom printable report immediately.